One is never accustomed to using a prayer mala or any prayer accessory unless they have ever observed and experienced it firsthand.
A person who has never used any prayer beads will neither care nor understand its significance. On the other hand, anyone who understands its essence and value will have it as an integral part of their daily lives and like me will practice it every day. Now, let us get acquainted with it a little.
Prayer Mala: Meaning and Significance of the 108 Beads?
Prayer mala or beads generally consist of 108 beads and is accompanied by a tassel and another 109th bead often known as a guru bead. It is used for repetition of mantra during meditation practice. It is also known as ‘Trengwa’ in Buddhism.
Facts and Significance of 108 beads
There are several meanings of the use of 108 no. of beads in a prayer mala. These are based on certain beliefs and ideas. Some of them are:
- Astronomy: The sun’s diameter is approximately 108 times the size of the earth and the average distance from earth to the sun is 108 times the diameter of the sun. The average distance from earth to the moon is approximately 108 times the moon's diameter.
- Astrology: There are 12 zodiac signs and 9 planets. 9 times 12 equals to 108.
- Buddhism: In Buddhism, it is believed that there are 108 feelings.
- One can reach this number by multiplying the six senses: smell, touch, taste, hearing, sight, and consciousness by whether they are painful, pleasant, or Neutral, and then again if they are internally generated or externally occurring by three times: past, present and future, finally we get 108 feelings i.e. 6 × 3 × 2 × 3=108.
- Some Buddhists also carve 108 small Buddhas on walnuts for good fortune. Some ring a bell for 108 times to celebrate new year. It is also a belief that there are 108 virtues to cultivate and 108 defilements to avoid.
How to Use Prayer Mala?
The mala is traditionally held in the right hand and used by two methods -
1st Method: The prayer mala is placed between thumb and the ring finger. The thumb is used to rotate the mala one bead at a time towards user with each repetition of the mantra.
2nd Method: The mala is held between the tall finger and the thumb, here too the thumb is used to pull the mala one bead at a time towards oneself with each repetition of mantra.
In both methods, the index finger never touches the mala as it represents ego which is the greatest barrier to self-realization.
The practice begins at the guru bead and continues around the loop until it reaches there again. The guru bead is never passed over. So, if you plan to do more than one round, the mala is turned around to proceed again in the opposite direction.
It is recommended that malas should not be placed on the floor but should rather be kept privately in a special mala bag.
Prayer Mala: Essential for Mantra Meditation
Ever wondered why ancient yogis and saints were satisfied with their lives but why we are not?
Some reasons people get unhappy are:
- A constant hurry or rush to get things done quicker
- Not knowing oneself
- Existence of unwanted thoughts
- Fear of something
- Performing mantra meditation with Tibetan prayer mala will not lessen your worries and tension but once that bubble of the illusionary world pops, you will see the world for what it is and be the happiest person in the world because:
- It will increase your intuition powers along with the ability to focus on the present.
- Keeps your mind calm and still even in times of rush.
- You can discover yourself and even find your interest areas.
- Unwanted thoughts will remain at bay.
- Will enhance your confidence levels to face any situation and fears.
The prayer mala will keep you lively and give you positive vibes and energy to tackle things better.
Why Prayer Mala is best for Meditation Practice?
- One can easily carry prayer beads, to perform mantra meditation at anytime and anywhere. For instance, if you are not driving you can use prayer beads on your way to work.
- After waking up in morning, if you meditate with it then it will alleviate your stress and elevate your energy levels like a gym workout.
- You can also perform mantra meditation prior to your bedtime which will induce a proper sleeping pattern.
- You can also wear prayer beads on your neck like necklaces or wrap it around your wrists like a bracelet. This will not just look enticing but also has certain health benefits like regulation of the blood pressure and increased internal strength.
Do you want a prayer mala to perform mantra meditation and transform your life with a new vision for a better version of yourself? You can turn to Best Himalaya as they can assist you in your meditation path.
Who are we?
Best Himalaya is a Nepal based company that preserves and spreads Buddhist traditions among present generation throughout the world by providing classic, authentic and handcrafted products like Singing Bowls, Prayer Mala, Prayer Flags, Prayer Wheels, Tingsha Cymbals, and many more.
The company has made global presence with its high quality handmade products. With an aim to fulfill our clients’ requirements in the utmost manner, we provide customized products, timely delivery and unmatched customer support.